A good decision making requires new and useful alternatives.The working environment is dynamic, flexible, uncertain, and unpredictable. Professionals must innovate and create new approaches to achieve make decisions and solve problems.
o Rule out criticism
o Welcome freewheeling
o Seek large quantities of ideas
o Encourage combination and improvement of ideas
Nominal Group Technology
• Each individual writes down as many ideas as possible working individually.
• Each person presents one of his/her ideas, which the group leader records on a flipchart or whiteboard.
• The process continues until all ideas have been recorded. No ideas are repeated.
• Group discussion of each idea starts after all the ideas are presented.
• Each individual ranks what they think are the top five ideas, by giving a score of 5 to the one they think is best and 1 to the one they think would be least successful.
• Combine everyone's ratings for each idea.
• The idea with the highest score is the one you choose. If there is a tie, use Paired Comparison to make a decision.
Have you used any of these tools? Have you used any other creativity tools? Share your positive, successful experiences using these or other creativity tools.