If you're overwhelmed with information -- print and virtual -- you need to implement an information management process. Here are the steps. We'll cover each in more detail in future posts.
· Determine what information needs to be retained.
· Determine major and subcategories of information.
· Sort paper files into major categories, then subcategories.
· Sort electronic files into major directories, then subdirectories and folders.
· Assign a physical location for paper files.
· Provide for back-up of critical electronic files.
· Label everything.
· Establish retention criteria.
· Establish retrieval criteria.
· Create archive files.
· Track stuff.